Chu Van An High School is one of the oldest and most prestigious state schools in Viet Nam Established in 1908 by the French, the school was located beside the West Lake, and was origir named after the location it was in. It is a very pleasant, spacious school with great views of the lake 1 the classroom windows.
In 1943, the school was moved to Ninh Binh, and was not moved back to Ha Noi until 1945. In year, the school was renamed Chu Van An, after a famous Vietnamese Confucianism teacher of the Tran Dynasty. Professor Nguyen Gia Tuong became the first Vietnamese principal of the school. Many famous people like ex-Prime Minister Pham Van Dong, Doctor Ton That Ti and poet Xuan Dieu used to be the school's students.
Today the school is still located in the same area, and hi maintained its prestige, as well as its reputation as one the top schools in Ha Noi. It is very difficult to be admr to the school. Every year, there are around three thou applicants but only about five hundred are admitted applicants have to take an entrance examination conducted by the Department of Education and Training of Ha Noi.
a. Choose the best answer A, B, C, or D to each question below.
Chọnđáp án đúng.
1. The passage mainly discusses________ .
A. Chu Van An, the teacher
B. Chu Van An School in the future
C. Chu Van An School over time
D. The difficulty of being admitted to Chu Van An School
2. All of the following are true about the school EXCEPT____________ .
A. the school was originally named after the location it is in
B. the school admits three thousand students every year
C. the school has a view of the West Lake
D. the school is large
3. The word 'principal’ is closest in meaning to___________ .
B. head teacher
4. The word 'prestige’ in the passage mostly means_________
5. It can be understood from the passage that___________.
A. students of the school are very smart
B. the school fees are very high
C. only children from prestigious families can enter the school
D. the teachers at the school earn a lot of money
b. Answer the following questions.
Trả lời các câu hỏi sau.
1. When was the school established?
2. How is the school described?
3. Who was Chu Van An?
4. Why is the school prestigious?
5. Why do you think the school is named after Chu Van An?
Key - Đáp án:
6a. 1. C 2. B 3. B 4. C 5. A
b. 1. It was established in 1908.
2. It is a very nice, spacious school with great views of the lake from the class windows.
3. He was a famous Vietnamese Confucianism teacher during the Tran Dynasty.
4. Because it is one of the top schools in Ha Noi. Moreover, many famous people like ex-Prime Minister Pham Van Dong, Doctor Ton That Tung, or poet Xuan Dieu used to be the school's students.
5. I think it is because he used to be a famous and dedicated teacher.
7. Put the following statements in the correct order (A-J) to make a dialogue. (1p).
A: Well, they are taught to be responsible.
B: They tell us again and again that the family is the nucleus of society, so we are supposed to keep it strong.
C: How are children in your village taught to behave?
D: That's a great value!
E: That sounds great! And what are girls supposed to do?
F: To be responsible for what we do, and to care for our loved ones.
G: Yeah. And you are supposed to work harder if you are a boy.
H: What do you mean by responsible?
I: Girls are taught to do the cooking and housework.
J: Really? And what about the value of family?
Key - Đáp án:
The right order: C-A-H-F-D-G-E-I-J-B
8. Complete the second sentences so that it has a similar meaning to the first one, using the words in brackets.
1. It's not a good idea to use the village's land to build new road. (wouldn't)
2. You should visit the historical places of the area. (worth)
-> It is
3. He suggested seeing Trang An, a natural wonder of our area.( visit)
-> What about
4. The sleepy villages are expected to mushroom into crowded towns within two years.(supposed).
-> The sleepy villages
5. It is important to educate children to preserve traditional values.(nescessary).
-> It is
Key - Đáp án:
1. I wouldn't use the village’s land to build new roads.
2. It is worth visiting the historical places of the area.
3. What about visiting Trang An, a natural wonder of our area?
4. The sleepy villages are supposed to mushroom into crowded towns within two years.
5. It is necessary to educate children to preserve traditional values.