Exercise 1. Finish each of the following sentences in such a way that it means exactly the same as the sentence printed before it.
Hoàn thành các câu sau sao cho nghĩa của câu không thay đổi so với câu trước đó
1. He didn't hurry, so he missed the train.
2. My brother didn't leave the car keys, so I couldn't pick him up at the station.
If my brother______________________________________________________________
3. We didn't go because it rained.
If it hadn't_________________________________________________________________
4. We didn't go on holiday because we didn't have enough money.
5. Susan felt sick because she ate four cream cakes.
If Susan __________________________________________________________________
6. Without this treatment, the patient would have died.
7. We got lost because we didn't have a map.
If we _____________________________________________________________________
8. He lost his job because he was late every day.
9. Peter is fat because he eats so many chips.
10. Robert got a bad cough because he started smoking cigarettes.
1. If he had hurried, he would have caught/wouldn't have missed the train.
2. If my brother had left the car keys, I could have picked him up at the station.
3. If it hadn't rained, we would have gone.
4. If we had had enough money, we would have gone on holiday.
5. If Susan hadn't eaten four cream cakes, she wouldn't have felt sick.
6. If he hadn't followed this treatment, the patient would have died.
7. If we had had a map, we wouldn't have got lost.
8. If he hadn't been late every day, he wouldn't have lost his job.
9. If Peter didn't eat so many chips, he wouldn't be fat.
10. If Robert had not started smoking cigarettes, he would not have got a bad cough.
Exercise 2. Make all the changes and additions to produce, from the following sets of words and phrases, sentences which together make a complete letter.
Thực hiện mọi biến đổi và thêm bớt để tạo ra, từ các từ và cụm từ dưới đây, các câu để làm thành một bức thư hoàn chỉnh
1. thank you / invitation / spend this weekend / you / Hanoi / .
2. love / come / unfortunately / I / be unable / accept / .
3. my friend / live / Ho Chi Minh City / stay / us / this weekend / .
4. as it be / first visit / Hanoi / I / plan / show her around / .
5. it be possible / visit you / next weekend instead / ?
6. certainly need / rest after / friend / go back / Ho Chi Minh City / .
7. please tell / next weekend / be convenient / .
8. look forward / see you again / .
1. Thank you very much for your/the invitation to spend this weekend with you in Hanoi.
2. I would love to come but unfortunately I am unable to accept.
3. My friend who lives/is living in Ho Chi Minh City will be staying/is going/coming to stay with us this weekend.
4. As it is/will be her first visit to Hanoi, I plan/am planning to show her around.
5. Is it/Would it be/Will it be possible to visit you next weekend instead?
6. I am certainly going to/will certainly need a rest after my friend goes back to Ho Chi Minh City.
7. Please tell me if/whether next weekend is/will be/could be convenient for you.
8. I look/am looking forward to seeing you again.