1. Read the text about Rainforests. Match paragraphs (1-3) with the missing first sentences (a - d). There is one extra sentence that you don't need to use.
Đọc văn bản về Rừng mưa nhiệt đới. Nối các đoạn văn (1-3) với các câu đầu tiên bị mất (a - d). Có thêm một câu mà bạn không cần phải sử dụng.
1d 2a 3c
2. Read the questions and find the answers in the text. (Đọc các câu hỏi và tìm câu trả lời trong văn bản.)
1. Why are rainforests important?
2. What are rainforests compared with?
3. What are trees cut down for?
4. Why are soya and palm oil grown ?
5. What does TREES mean?
1 Because they provide oxygen, and help to regulate the world's climate and atmosphere.
2 They are compared with the ’lungs' of the Earth.
3 They are cut down for materials such as wood and paper, and the use of farming land and crops.
4 Soya is grown for human food and animal feed, and palm oil is grown for bio-fuel alternative to petrol and diesel.
5 It is the abbreviation for 'Teach’, * Restore’, 'Encourage’, 'Establish’ and 'Support’.
3. Complete the sentences with the words from the box. Change the word form if necessary. (Hoàn thành các câu với các từ trong hộp. Thay đổi mẫu từ nếu cần.)
worldwide restore photosynthesis
alternative encourage establish clear
1. You can take the bus as a(n) _______ to driving a car.
2. Global warming has accelerated and had a negative effect _______
3. Consumers have been _______ to use environmentally friendly products.
4. _______ is a process by which green plants and other organisms turn carbon dioxide and water into carbohydrates and oxygen, using light energy.
5. To _______ means to set up or initiate.
6. The trees in this area were _______ off for crops and the construction of public facilities.
7. This historic building was _______ in the 1990s and opened to the public.
1. alternative 2. worldwide 3 encouraged
4. Photosynthesis 5. establish
6. cleared 7. restored