1. Read the first part of a text about dating and fill each gap with a word or a phrase from the box.
Đọc phần đầu tiên của một văn bản về hẹn hò và điền vào mỗi khoảng cách với một từ hoặc một cụm từ trong hộp.
hopeless partner settle down
married trust identity
Max and Carol's wedding is to be held next week, never thought he could find the woman of his dreams. He became a successful businessman at the age of 37. He has worked hard all his life to get through university and then set up a company to provide a (1)______ income. The problem was that meetings and hard work made it difficult for him to meet a suitable (2)_______ . Last year, when he wanted to (3)______ , he looked around and found that all his old friends and female colleagues were already (4) _______ .
Some friends suggested going to bars or dance clubs. However, he thought the girls who went to these places were not mature or (5) _______ enough. Another suggestion was to look for a partner online. In fact, Max had a lot of online friends, but he did not (6)_______ them, as they usually hid their real (7)______ . He was beginning to feel lonely and (8) ______ when he saw an advertisement about the Speed Dating and Matchmaking Centre.
1. stable 2. partner
3. settle down 4. married
5.serious 6 trust
7. identity 8.hopeless
2. Read the second part of the text and answer the questions.
Đọc phần thứ hai của văn bản và trả lời các câu hỏi.
When Max went to the Speed Dating and Matchmaking Centre Office, he thought they could help. After completing a survey form about I age, education, religion, likes and dislikes, he was invited to a get-togetf with other nine men and ten women. There, he spent about six minu with each woman, talking about things like jobs, hobbies, families a children. At the end of the evening, he made a report stating wh women he wished to see again. Luckily, Lucy, the woman that he cho was also interested in him. They had a meeting the following we Max and Lucy had many things in common, but he did not really f attracted to her. Lucy felt the same, and they agreed to remain frien A month later, Lucy invited Max to her birthday party and introduced h to her friends. Fate was kind to Max this time as he met Carol there, and they fell in love with each other at first sight.
1. Why did Max go to the Speed Dating and Matchmaking Centre Office?
2. What was he asked to do first?
3. What did he do at the get-together organised by the Speed Dating and Matchmaking Centre Office?
4. Who did he choose to meet again?
5. Why did Max and that person decide to remain friends?
6. Who was Carol? Where did Max meet her?
1. He wanted to find a partner.
Anh ấy muốn tìm một người bạn.
2. He was asked to complete a survey form about his age, education, religion, likes and dislikes.
Anh được yêu cầu hoàn thành mẫu khảo sát về tuổi, trình độ học vấn, tôn giáo, sở thích và không thích của mình.
3. He talked to ten women at the get-together, spending six minutes with each one.
Anh nói chuyện với mười người phụ nữ tại buổi gặp gỡ, dành sáu phút cho mỗi người.
4. He chose Lucy.
Anh chọn Lucy.
5. They had many things in common, but they didn't feel attracted to each other.
Họ có nhiều điểm chung, nhưng họ không cảm thấy bị thu hút bởi nhau.
6. Carol was Lucy's friend. Max met her at Lucy's birthday party.
Carol là bạn của Lucy. Max đã gặp cô ấy tại bữa tiệc sinh nhật của Lucy.
3. Find the words or phrases from the two parts of the reading text which mean the following.
Tìm các từ hoặc cụm từ từ hai phần của văn bản mà có nghĩa như sau.
1. the money a person earns from work or business (noun)
Tiền của một người kiếm được từ việc làm hoặc kinh doanh
2. an informal meeting (noun)
Một cuộc gặp không chính thức
3. fully grown and developed; sensible (adjective)
Phát triển và phát triển đầy đủ; Hợp lý
4. when you see someone for the first time (prepositional phrase)
Khi bạn gặp ai đó lần đầu tiên
5. the power that is believed to control people's life (noun)
sức mạnh được cho là kiểm soát cuộc sống của con người
1. income 2. get-together
3. mature 4. at first sight